Once again, you get the dreaded answer of “Yes and No.”

Yes, he can force you to move out to remodel, but only if he will be conducting substantial structural remodeling, such as major changes to the structure of the building, or material modification to electrical, plumbing, or mechanical systems which require a permit, or for the abatement of hazardous materials, including lead-based paint, mold, or asbestos.

No, he cannot force you to move out to remodel if he is only making cosmetic changes to the unit, such as painting, decorating, and minor repairs, or other work that can be performed safely without having the residential real property vacated.